A Treasured Writing Group

 “It’s always worth it. That’s why I always come,” she said. “I really needed to write today.”

“I’m glad you found your topic,” I replied.

“It found me,” she said. 

That’s Heather from my writing group, a brilliant, insightful writer who inspires us all. She wrote about a new student who just came from Ukraine with her mother; her father is still there. It was a moving tale of a profound abrupt change in this girl’s existence told with vivid detail and empathy.

My monthly writing group has evolved over the years. We began meeting in a cozy house on campus, slowly adding new people. Then we relocated to a very cool independent bookstore that housed us on an oak table and chairs in their basement that showcased local artwork. They served food and wine and we had all we needed there, including a chance to peruse the books upstairs.  Sadly, they had to close their doors as bookstores often do, and we returned to campus. 

At the beginning of the pandemic, we wound up meeting weekly on Zoom.  That really helped us get through those high-anxiety times. In the ensuing summer months we started meeting outside at different group members’ houses, eating lots of cheese and crackers, humus and veggies, guacamole – all yummy appetizers.  Recently we started to meet again in-person on campus. 

The support and comaraderie are what makes this writing group a treasured safe haven. We share narratives about ourselves and our students; we laugh and cry together.  Add to that some spectacular writing, and what more could you ask for.





Comments

  1. I am so honored and lucky to part of this inspiring group of people who simply, love to write and listen to the writing of others. It has been quite a journey as your slice reflected upon. I hope that this little group continues to laugh and cry together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm part of a writing community, Teachers Write, for the challenge and it has reminded me that my students also need a writing community. I'm hoping our community will continue after the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great and lasting community, one of those through-thick-and-thin kinds of operations. Thanks for the peek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have on-line writing groups, but oh what a joy an in-person group would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your writing group's commitment ! I wish I could be part of it but maybe in a few years when things are calmer with the kids and their activities. I love that you've kept this group together and going through challenging seasons. We are lucky you have been the one to organize and keep this group alive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts