Opening Day!

Today is opening day!  Baseball starting in March is a sure sign that warm weather is on the way.  I got into my car today and, lo and behold, the Mets game was on the radio and had just begun.  The first inning started and the third batter up hit a home run.  Yeah!  We’re back in business. 

I’m not the biggest sports fan; I sure do celebrate when football season comes to an end.  But I do enjoy baseball and have followed the Mets since I was a kid.  My dad was a major Mets fan and must have watched every game he possibly could.  I can still hear him yell “Drop it!” at the  last fly-ball of  a losing bottom of the 9th inning. They rarely dropped it.  As an adult, I have really enjoyed going to the game each year.  My daughters usually come, and we get tickets as presents for Father’s Day or my husband’s birthday.  We eat Shake Shack cheeseburgers and thoroughly enjoy them with fries and ketchup. 

The only other sport I watch, besides Olympic ice skating, is tennis. Every year we go to the US Open in Queens, NY, a half hour ride from where I live. The annual trip to watch tennis from the stands is wonderful.  The only fly in the ointment is that it’s always Labor Day weekend, and that signals back to school and fall.  Baseball, on the other hand, is the harbinger of spring and warm weather and outdoor festivities.  Hurray to the first day of baseball.  Yay, Mets!

Comments

  1. I’m longing for warm weather! I’m a Phillies fan, but enjoy going to baseball games as well. Cheers to baseball season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the circular motion of this, from baseball to your dad to your tradition to tennis and back to baseball. It truly is a sign of good things to come!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts