Day by Day, Bird by Bird

“Upgrade your stay-at-home style with new tee shirts and jeans!” read the Eddie Bauer email I opened this morning.   Hm… not having enough stay-at-home clothes has not made my list of pressing concerns these days. 

But while we’re on the subject of clothes, the laundry has been piling up these days.  With my two daughters home and all of us exercising daily, I did do three loads of laundry just today.

“Why did you have to do three loads of laundry today?’ inquired my husband.

“So I won’t have to do any tomorrow,” I replied.

“And what do you plan on doing tomorrow?

“Not laundry!”

* * *
Although many of these new days can seem less than thrilling, and often terrifying, certain new routines like gathering for a dinner we’ve planned or cooked together, and taking long walks provide comfort.  Little things are now big.  And today was a better day than yesterday. Just taking it day by day, ‘bird by bird,’ as posited in Anne Lamott’s eponymous book on writing.




Comments

  1. This made me laugh, "not having enough stay-at-home clothes has not made my list of pressing concerns these days" hahahahaha! Stars to that marketing person for giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw your tease on the TWT page, I immediately went to Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird so I'm so glad you referenced her! Thanks for writing. It was a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to "Not laundry!" And also to _Bird by Bird_, which I believe I was introduced to through you and the LIWP some several moons ago. It remains a favorite -- some items *never* go out of style :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bird by Bird! Yes! Day by day, Oh Lord, these things I pray. I am glad you have your girls around you. The laundry is unstoppable. I actually could use way more sweat pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ad from Eddie Bauer is really funny. Bird by bird is a great metaphor to keep in mind these days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts