Morning Walk

This morning’s walk in the rain took me back to my camping days, when you’d wake up in a tent, and hear the gentle rain outside, and you’d drive out to a nearby diner and sip coffee, in a hooded sweatshirt, sans shower. No cozier moment ever existed.

This morning I donned my beloved hiking boots, put on my down jacket, employed an umbrella and it was one of my best walks yet in quarantine world. Hardly a person was out. Here and there a dog was being walked, but otherwise I was alone.

In this solitude I could pay homage to the newly sprouted forsythia bushes, and the pretty pink cherry trees.  I could acknowledge the plaintive cries from the ducks off somewhere in the distance. I could send positive thoughts to friends who are going through harder times.

The misty light rain, the emergence of spring’s beauty, I am so grateful.





Comments

  1. This is beautiful and heart-warming, and I love your word choices and descriptions! This is my favorite line: "In this solitude I could pay homage to the newly sprouted forsythia bushes, and the pretty pink cherry trees." I also like your use of the phrase "quarantine world"....It says so much without having to explain the whole situation. And it actually made me smile. :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled at your opening memory, which triggered for me moments car camping with my partner when the rain drove us indoors to the closest movie theaters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an evocative piece of writing! I could hear the rain on the tent at the beginning and see and hear signs of spring later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts