Finding Joy

I’m sitting outside in 63 degrees, though it feels like 75. The sun is beaming down; I’m joyfully wearing just a tee shirt and capris.  I’m in the backyard with my daughter and the three cats that are spending quality quarantine time with us.

Last summer I bought a cat tunnel for my cat Mister, so he could hang outside in our backyard while we ate dinners outside. Mister has always had a love affair with the outdoors, and spends much of the day peering out an open window. We cannot trust him to go outside on his own, because he left for two weeks and two days about two years ago.  So all outdoor privileges without a “cage” have been suspended indefinitely. At the same time that I bought that tunnel, I also ordered a “Happy Habitat” tent that I never opened.  So now with 3 cats, the tent is up and running.  Mister, at press time, appears quite content in the tent, eating grass and attending to bird cries and breezes. My daughter’s cats are in the tunnel together, trying to make sense of this.  They are transported city cats, coming from life in a one-bedroom apartment on 95th Street and 3rd Avenue in Manhattan.

I’ve been thinking about Kathy’s post about seeking out and finding joy in this sad, difficult moment. Yesterday and today have been such beautiful days filled with warmth, sunshine, gorgeous pink and white trees, and the promise of spring. Yesterday I gardened for the first time since the fall season. Gardening in April is really just about taking away the winter debris - the sticks and dead leaves, and removing the weeds that have sprung up in recent days. But I love the connection with the earth.  I sit on the ground and turn over the soil in places where I soon hope to plant. Sprigs of mint are already up on the side of the house as is a rosemary bush that lasted through the winter. Gardening gives me joy, reassuring me that beauty exists.  At its best, there is a meditative reward when I’m gardening. There’s a unique freedom I feel, and a connection to something spiritual outside myself.

I have found joy today – in the beauty of nature, in the fun of housing those three silly cats, and in being with my family who I love so very much.

Comments

  1. Lovely - your writing brought similar joy to us as readers. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy is all around us, isn't it? I believe this statement, "Thy mercies are new every morning..." I'm glad you found joy in your life today. By the way, cats can be so much fun! Thanks for the heartfelt slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heidi! I am so glad you found joy. I love your writing- the 2 weeks, 2 days, 2 years line had a lovely rhythm. I love the line about the city cats being transported and trying to make sense of it all. I can see you gardening, in your capris, with your cats and your girls. While there is so much worry and sadness and we would never have ever wished for anything like this, I do think we can find joy where we can and we should find joy if we can. I think there can be lessons learned and precious time with family that we might never have had. To think of your grown daughters home again for this pocket of time- a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you found joy today; may you continue to find it every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts