Bougainvillea: My Odd Obsession

 One of my favorite things about being in Florida, coming off a New York winter, is beholding flowers in bloom.  All we saw in New York was snow and more snow. It’s the bougainvillea bush that wins my award for the most swoon-worthy of all flowers. With its dark pinkish, magenta petals, it’s one of nature’s most enchanting creations.  It speaks volumes to my heart and soul.  


 I don’t believe I cared as much or very much for flowers and plants in my youth. My daughters don’t appreciate the magic of flowers and tend to view my passion as a peculiarity of mine. When I take a spring or summer walk with my husband, he doesn’t see flowers.  He comments on the brands of cars we might consider when we get a new car.  I don’t see cars; he doesn’t see flowers. I mean that literally. It’s an odd truth.


Bougainvillea is not really a New York plant, and when I’ve tried to grow it, it does not flourish under my care.  My favorites are coneflowers and peonies, two absolutely amazing perennials.  In May and June my Long Island garden is bursting with color from those bushes. Last summer I discovered Verbena, a gentle, delicate, spiritual sort of annual plant with little tiny blossoms. At the end of summer, the Crepe Myrtle bush offers spectacular color. They, too, are a new favorite of mine and very popular lately on Long Island.


My most vivid Bougainvillea memory comes from being in Portofino, Italy.  Two summers ago we went on a Mediterranean cruise, and Portofino was a port to die for.  We meandered all around the hills surrounding this breath-taking town, and this pinkish magenta beauty was everywhere, making a gorgeous photo opportunity with the blue green water in the distance. Ah, to be in Portofino with the bougainvillea…





Comments

  1. If only Heidi...well we can’t teleport there sadly, but I did so enjoy your descriptions of the flowers. It was a virtual breath of fresh air. Spring can’t come fast enough this year! Hopefully you will be getting dirt under your nails soon! 🌺🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post reminds me so much of my mother and her affinity for bougainvillea. She always had a plant of it growing, but sadly I did not inherit her green thumb. I always think of tropical warmth when I see this plant.

      Delete
  2. Your post reminds me so much of my mother and her affinity for bougainvillea. She always had a plant of it growing, but sadly I did not inherit her green thumb. I always think of tropical warmth when I see this plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to google the bougainvillea to see what it looks like- so beautiful! And I want to go Portofino now! I hope those memories are held so dear, especially now when we really can't go too far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts