Paradise Palms

 Paradise Palms 


As I took a long morning walk near the Florida hotel we are staying at while visiting my ailing, aging mother-in-law, I turned into a development with the words ‘Paradise Palms’ on a sign with a palm tree logo in front.  Ah, to turn on to Paradise, to find some much-desired peace and solace from the difficult few days here. It was a clear blue-sky day with luscious clouds overhead. All the houses in this development were small ranch-style houses, and almost everyone had a palm tree on the property. How lovely, I thought, to have palms everywhere. I even saw an occasional bougainvillea bush, my absolute favorite. I passed a dog walker, an older lady on a bicycle, and a few service people arriving for work in their trucks. Here and there was an American flag.


And then there was... the Trump flag. Why is it still so triggering to witness a giant, defiant Trump flag swaying haphazardly in the wind? It’s March. It’s over.  Who are these people who live here in this house proudly brandishing this symbol of hate and division? What made them unable to take that flag down?  Who is this person or people who still hold on to and wish to perpetuate the horrors that were those four years? Have the neighbors complained or did they just put their flags away? 


I do not know. What I do know is - this is not the Paradise they promised at the entrance. Evidently I turned down the wrong street.


Comments

  1. Still too many flags and signs out here in Yuma too, but at least today's walk didn't take me past any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got your Florida palms and your face palms, sometimes in close proximity 🙄 Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I know. It is so upsetting. There were some Trump flags in my neighborhood around election time. I never remember another politician who had their own flag-it's all so odd and un-American. Sorry for the wrong turn- certainly not Paradise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts