Revision Fatigue

 Revision Fatigue


In my own writing process, I am constantly revising. I believe in the dump it out method of writing, particularly when you’re stuck.  Just get it out. “Make it messy to make it clear” was my early writing teacher mantra way back when. Get something on the page and then look at it again.  I subscribe to the Anne Lamott’s “shitty first drafts” philosophy. But I’m not so sure it’s working any more.  I fear my shitty first drafts are turning into mediocre second drafts and watered down third drafts. Something is not right with my writing process. 


I write a few sentences, and then reread, and rewrite, and I am in a constant cycle of writing and revising.  When teachers say kids don’t like to revise, I know from my own experience I can’t stop revising. I saw a famous published poet read her work at the 92nd Street Y, and as she read her printed words, she said she wished she could change parts of what she wrote.  She was revising herself in real time as she read her published words. Is a piece of writing every finished?


I am going for a walk soon.  I am going to hit “publish” without another revision. I am getting awfully tired of my obsessive revision tendencies. Do you find yourself constantly revising?


 


Comments

  1. Yes! Absolutely! I type, go back, and then read the whole piece out loud. I then get to the point where I am like you and just hit publish to stop the revising insanity. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great process post! Reminds me of our writing project days where we would do "the basic" and write about the process! I don't revise nearly enough. Feels like I'm crawling to the finish line most days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! And this year, for whatever reason, I'm not feeling like my writing is that great, no matter how many times I revise! UGH! So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I don’t feel so alone! I agree with your thoughts of just getting your ideas down first but I get too obsessive over revisions too. I promised myself this March to let go a little and not revise quite so much! Thank you for such an honest share!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts