Take Me Away!

Take Me Away!


I had to get out of here. I had to get away from all the family issues and all the snow that piled up in the suburbs. Where do I go, in this pandemic-ridden new world? New York City to see my younger daughter who is 28 and lives on the upper east side, and who is so fun to be around. Her roommate was away for the weekend, and she was happy to have me come in.  I called an Uber because I am not a New York City driver, and I needed to get away by myself.  Having just been double-vaccinated, I decided that taking an Uber was an acceptable travel choice. Normally I’d take the Long Island railroad and be perfectly content.  But no one, mostly no one, rides the railroad these days.


So off I went, in my solo Uber, whisked onto the RFK Bridge and transported to upper Manhattan.  When I got to my daughter’s apartment we just talked and talked and, I confess, I did a good amount of crying.  Two close family members were struggling, and I needed a temporary reprieve from all the recent stress. She’s a wonderful listener and comforter, and an all around amazing person. 


We decided to walk around the surprisingly well-shoveled streets of Manhattan, despite the cold.  We were in search of outdoor dining in 30 degrees! She took me to this incredible Thai restaurant that featured separated dining spaces for individual groups.  Our little pod was wooden on three sides with a window and a sliding door and a heater from the ceiling that kept us reasonably warm. New York is really made up of creative, resilient people: Who would imagine that such lovely outdoor eating spaces are possible in this freezing cold winter.  We ordered wonton soups and pad thai and padsee ew. Delicious!  And we had drinks.  And we laughed.


I arrived home later than I expected that evening, contented, and grateful for this very special relationship. I found a lot of warmth and love on this cold winter night. 

 

Comments

  1. Reading your slice makes me feel good for you and for me (the reader) because if feels a little like our former life (pre-Covid) which gives us hope, that there is light at the end of the tunnel perhaps after the two vaccines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely and much-needed day. I'm so glad you have people like your daughter who can comfort you and make you feel all good things, restored again. :) (P.S. This is Heather and I can't add my name).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this slice! Your daughter sounds as wonderful as you are! No surprise there. Isn’t it great that your daughters are people you most want to be with! You can add this to your list of the advantages of growing old!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts