Window Visits: Two Different Kinds

 Window Visits: Two different kinds


While here in Florida visiting with my mother-in-law in a rehab facility, I witnessed and experienced the window visits we’ve all seen on TV, visits between loved ones separated by the virus. They are at once heartwarming and heart wrenching.  We have had two such visits. On certain days you’re allowed outdoor visits in their courtyard; other days you’re relegated to the window.  I thought there would be wide-open windows but the windows here are closed and you speak via the phone. There were husbands outside reconnecting with their wives, and many people connecting with their mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, all seemingly sad people standing at a window. “Waving through a Window,” that great song from “Dear Evan Hansen,” was playing in my head. 


When I texted my daughter to let her know that we had a scheduled window visit she texted back that our cats are also doing a window visit.  My cat Mister has always been a window cat. He is in love with the outside world, and he keeps vigil at the window for every bird and squirrel that’s out there. He savors every breeze he can get.  Our window is always open whether it’s 40 degrees or 20 degrees in this New York winter.  Since my daughter’s two cats have taken up residence with us during the pandemic, we now have 3 boys by the window. When we shout: “Who wants swindow?” in a high-pitched squeal, all three come running and take their places. I love those silly cats.


It’s strange to be here in Florida. People at our hotel are sunbathing by the pool, and people are dining outside at the hotel restaurant with live music that you always hear from our hotel balcony. We are appreciating the warm weather and going walking and running. But it’s a hard trip, and my mother-in-law is struggling. 




Comments

  1. Hopefully window visits can hold everyone over for just a little longer, until this all settles. I do find comfort in knowing that even though physical interactions and proximity (we have a closer family) have temporarily changed, we still have some way of being together. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know these window visits well. My father was in a nursing home during the pandemic (he died in September 2020, not of COVID). I am sure it means so much to your mother-in-law to have you visit, regardless of the bizarreness. Hopefully, she is like the cats - drawn to the window. This is such a sad and strange time. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your piece and the juxtaposition of the two window scenes. Praying for in-person hugs soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your mother in law. It's such a hard time in so many ways. And then the sunbathers and live music and dining- do you think people are taking COVID less seriously in Florida? (My guess is yes).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts