I do feel bad about my neck

Kathy S's post gave me today's writing idea. She talked about her eyebrows and her chin and her discontent with those particular body parts. Of course she alluded to the absurdity or self-involved nature of having those thoughts when the world is on fire.

But it did make me think about my own discontent with seeing my face on Zoom.  I do a lot of virtual tutoring and attend frequent Zoom meetings, and there I am on screen, center stage. When did we ever see ourselves when talking to other people? What concerns me is, not my eyebrows, but my neck. When writer Nora Ephron came out with her book, I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman, I  didn't know what she meant. How can you feel bad about your neck? I never thought about my neck, and as far as necks go, mine was quite ordinary. Then came all the Zoom meetings, and all the aging I've done in the past few years, and my neck is suddenly droopy, quite droopy. Do I put a scarf high up to hide my droopy neck? Do I only wear that one big black turtleneck that covers much of my unsightly neck?

The other thing about seeing yourself almost daily on camera is that I notice that I'm looking pale. Sometimes I make a mental note to put blush on next time. I never really wore much make up before the pandemic, in person, and I certainly hardly wear anything now. But Zoom is making me realize I need some blush. And perhaps a haircut. Ever look at yourself and see your hair just hanging straight down and realize maybe it is time for that haircut? 

I've heard there's a way to shut your own picture off so you don't have to look at yourself while on Zoom. But then, how would I know that I need a haircut, a turtleneck and some blush?

Comments

  1. That is one of my favorite books. Some very powerful women wear scarves. Zoom does make you think about improving your physical appearance, but I also started watching Queer Eye and I actually started thinking about wearing lipstick and curling my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I related to this so hard! After experiencing the same feelings about my own neck I've really been thinking about Diane Keaton and her turtlenecks and scarves. LOL. I loved the Nora Ephron book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read somewhere that elevating the device camera a bit (or, I suppose, lowering oneself) can make for a more flattering video-call view -- less up the nostrils and not quite as neck-centric. For now, channeling Nora Ephron reads like a wry place for you to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts