Indoor Dining Fears

Last Wednesday, a mere week ago, we experienced one of those rare 68-degree February days in New York. I spent several hours sitting outside with Lisa from my book group, eating salad outside a bagel deli in Woodmere. The sun was beating straight down on us, that glorious 68-degree sun making me feel like I was at the beach, possibly even getting sunburned on my face. We chatted about our daughters, our husbands, our goals at this present age, our exercise routines, and about where we might want to move to.

I had, a few days before, made outdoor dinner reservations for that night with another couple, seeing that the temperature would indeed be in the 60s. We have not been eating indoors, and so I often peruse the weather ap searching for a day where you could comfortably eat outside. And now I had two such plans on this one day. 

That afternoon Gabby, who I was to dine out with later, texted "hurricane" and then "we will parasail over to the restaurant." I had no idea what she was talking about. Apparently, it had been unbelievably windy on the north shore, and tree limbs had fallen all over the streets near where she lived. 

When we got to the restaurant that evening, we were greeted by the manager who told us that we should not eat outside. It indeed was insanely windy, and a heater had toppled over in the outside tent. There were many people still eating outside, but the manager strongly urged us to eat indoors. Conditions were getting worse. But I was committed to eating outside, since I had planned this dinner because of the expected nice weather.

We walked outside to our designated table and clearly the wind was howling around us. The tent entrance was close by, and although a lot of people seemed to be eating without much fanfare, our table was in the crossroads of what felt like 40-50 mph wind gusts. The tent was rustling, the heaters seemed ominously unsteady, and my 3 tablemates were clearly not happy. I agreed to go inside. And there you have it: my first indoor meal since the Dorset Inn in Vermont where rain forced us indoors. Once indoors I had a glass of wine and decided to enjoy my Veal Sorrentino. A week has gone by, and I apparently have survived this unintended indoor dining experience.


Comments

  1. I so relate to this post. It is still SO hard for me to eat indoors. I think I've done it three times since the pandemic started, a hundred years ago. I chuckled at the mental picture of you trying to eat outside in that wind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't broken this particular seal yet, though your well-described slice gives me a smidgen of hope that -- when the time comes -- it'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. I've eaten indoors less than handful of times in the past two years, including tonight. I'm in New York City, and feel less accepting of eating outside in cold weather than in the beginning. Your slice does a good job working up to your move from outdoor to indoor eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It DID get windy! That day was so incredibly lovely. We need another one of those! It's interesting how we all have such different comfort levels right now. We've been eating inside restaurants since summer of 2020- never really felt uncomfortable there but of course respect that you have chosen to only eat outside. I'm glad you are still feeling good after that night of eating inside with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a vivid description of the scene, Heidi!
    I haven't eaten inside a restaurant, coffee shop, bakery, etc. since March 2020! I've eaten outside in some wild weather. I have asthma so I'm so leary (even though I'm vaccinated and boosted) to eat indoors right now. I've been exceedingly careful for months.The rates are coming down so I'm thinking I might be comfortable to do it soon. For now, I'm still a streetery girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've eaten inside only in the last month or so, and I had to really get behind myself and shove. You set the stage for the anxiety of both being outside and then going in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts