Invitation Accepted

 "Imagine yourself being with other writers in a cabin tucked away in a world of lush green fields surrounded by beautiful flowers blooming under blue skies and perfect temperatures."

That was the invitation sent from Leigh Anne. Thank you, Leigh Anne, for this lovely invite. I'm ready to join this writers retreat with my fellow slicers. I've already started thinking about what I will bring.

First and foremost, I shall pack my MacBook Air; it's where I do all my writing. I jot down notes and ideas on trusty legal pads from Staples, but the actual writing takes place here in Word. I love this computer and am thankful that I replaced my old one since this screen is more vibrant, it runs faster, and the trackpad works. Along with those handy legal pads, I would take very simple blue pens. I don't like heavy, fancy pens at all. 

I shall pack some writing that I have started in the past - a children's book called Libra and the Frog, something I started a long time ago and always planned on finishing when I had time. I would also bring snippets of previous pieces about Mister, my adventurous cat, who once left us for two weeks and two days. I've often thought of having Mister star in a children's book. And earlier pieces not saved on my computer would come along with me in that ancient writing folder. 

I'll need to pack Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, still the best book on writing ever. I'd remind myself of the importance of "shitty first drafts."  I would read this quote from the last paragraph of Bird by Bird to my fellow writers. In response to the question "Why does our writing matter?" Lamott answers:

"Because of the spirit, I say. Because of the heart. Writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. They deepen and widen our sense of life: they feed the soul. When writers make us shake our heads with the exactness of their prose and their truths, and even make us laugh about ourselves or life, our buoyancy is restored. We are given a shot at dancing with, or at least clapping along with, the absurdity of life, instead of being squashed by it over and over again. It's like singing on a boat during a terrible storm at sea. You can't stop the raging storm, but singing can change the hearts and spirits of the people who are together on that ship."

Lastly, I shall bring my blue-grey pottery mug, the one that I bought from a potter in Arlington, Vermont near the West Mountain Inn. It is the only mug I drink from when I brew Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla coffee. I'll bring some ground coffee while I think of it. I think I'll also bake some orange-cranberry muffins, one of my favorite recipes from Thanksgiving, to go with the morning coffee.

Will you be there?

Comments

  1. I'm coming! I'm just not ready yet. I'll bring my picture book draft, too. Maybe we can swap feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am packing my bag right now. I love that quote from Bird by Bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the same wave length as you, Heidi, as I wrote about joining this invitation too today! How wonderful a writing retreat would be... time to write and share for endless hours. You must finish your children's book. So it sounds like we need to organize a "real life" writing retreat one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you accepted the invitation! So many things I love in your post starting with your picture book draft! How exciting - maybe the "retreat" will be just the incentive you need to get it out into the world! And who doesn't love Anne Lamott!!! I need to get that book off the shelf again. Check out the updated guest list here: http://adayinthelifeof19b.blogspot.com/2022/03/a-slicer-party-sol22.html Lots of great quotes if you are a collector! thanks for coming along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who wouldn't want to be where your describing?? :) It was LIWP that introduced me to Lamott's _Bird by Bird_, and this slice's reference to that book of writing wisdom stirs up many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so well prepared to the retreat, including plans about what to write. Anne Lamott's books have been an inspiration to me too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts