Kayla's Shower

Today I attended a bridal shower, a lovely in-person event rescheduled from December when the omicron surge hit. I put on a pretty, new dress, blow-dried my hair, even put a bit of make-up on. I got in the car and drove out on the highway, excited to leave my anxiety home. I was just going to go with it. Everyone was vaccinated and boosted, and that was that.

The bride-to-be is the daughter of my husband's college roommate, and we have been friends with her parents since college. They have two daughters and we have two daughters, and we watched them all grow up over the years. As time went on, we just got together as couples, without the girls. So I hadn't seen Kayla for some time.

I nearly cried when I saw her. She looked so beautiful and glowing. It felt so good to celebrate something happy. It just felt so good to chat with people, in person, no masks. I indulged in a mimosa and enjoyed the cheese and fruit platter before the expansive brunch buffet. I got to talk with Kayla's adorable 85-year-old grandma, a charismatic powerhouse. I got to share interesting conversations with the many people at my table.

What a great feeling it was today to be a part of the world. I needed this for my mental health.

Comments

  1. It does feel so good to meet people! Blessings to Kayla! I just scrolled below your post and read the one about you being in Florida. What different experiences, different feelings, different roles we essay! You captures both the ends of the spectrum so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you Heidi! It all sounds so lovely and well-needed. Every little thing that comes back is a big thing, really.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts