My Writing Process

Today’s Prompt: Describe your creative process in no more than 5 words. *

My writing process: 

-  Thinking

-  Freewriting

-  Writing (rough draft writing)

-  Revising

-  Rereading (out loud)

I often get some good thinking done on a walk. My second place for thinking is the shower. 

I might do some freewriting, just trying to get an idea to see the light of day, no judgment, no worries, thank you Peter Elbow

In writing the rough draft I also allow myself to just dump it out, as I tell my students, and not get bogged down in whether it’s good or not.

Revising is probably my number one way of writing. I wrote a post on revision fatigue. I am constantly revising. Before I hit publish, I must revise 5 times, although the end product does not reflect such amazing prose. You would think it would.

When I think I’m all done, I reread aloud. I listen to my voice. I revise again. I’m a chronic reviser; I’m not sure what statement that is making about myself.

Prompt from Elisabeth and Eva



Comments

  1. I also read out loud. I find it way easier to find errors when I do that. I do a lot of thinking in the car driving to and from school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love learning about your process! I try to think of ideas on the car ride home but the shower is a good one too! I need to revise more....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The revision is endless!! And as you say, the final product doesn't always look like I revised every line--but I did. I enjoyed reading about your process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts