That Monday Class

 I think I go overboard with certain projects, like this 3-hour afternoon class I teach on Mondays, which I've written about before. I could spend days and days planning what to include, reading over articles, notes, looking at videos - it becomes an obsession. This week's topic was argumentative writing and so I go through all my overflowing files filled with ways to teach argument. I find it a daunting, challenging task, unlike teaching narrative writing, and perhaps it's for that reason that I spend an inordinate amount of time preparing.

And so my dining room table is strewn with books and file folders on argument, and it overtakes my life. I don't bring up my clean laundry when I'm in the throes of planning a lesson. I don't pay that bill that sits there. I don't order the baby gift that I should get out in a timely fashion. I can barely eat lunch before my class, as I attempt to pull it all together (today was worse than usual. I usually do eat a leisurely lunch). Then, of course, I forget how to take material I just scanned to my email and add it to this week in Blackboard. A quick call to my daughter reminds me how to do it: click the download icon on top right, click the arrow on bottom left, go to 'open with system viewer,' save file in downloads. I'm in a frenzy right before class. Teaching remotely for three hours has its pitfalls.

I vaguely remember doing this when I would write English papers in college. I'd turn it into an event - put on a long skirt, seek out a cool place to do my writing, spend hours thinking. But the greatest payoff overindulging in a project comes when you're done. The relief, the freedom, the sheer sense of real accomplishment makes up for all the prior lunacy.

I think I'll go bring up the laundry now.


Comments

  1. Lol- love your last line! This Slice really shows a slice of you and your personality- wanting to be so prepared and caring so much it can push other things to the side. I'm sure your students are learning so much from you! Do you think it might go back to in person again?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts