The Soundtrack of my Walks

Sometimes on a walk, I don't want music or conversation - I just want to be - and take in my surroundings and let the thoughts in my head unfold. Some days I have long phone conversations with a bunch of people - my sister-in-law in Key West, my dearest friend who I worked with for years, my college roommate in Philadelphia, my childhood friend in Boston. Other days I turn to music, either music to soothe, or music to energize me.

If I go to Spotify, Bruce Springsteen is often my number 1 choice. His music, even so much more than the lyrics, just speaks to me, makes me want to move, makes me feel alive. His music is a part of who I am, as I have measured out my life in Springsteen concerts. Holly Near is another performer, so unlike Springsteen, who I love and often turn to. She is a social activist, feminist folk singer who I was introduced to by hippy friends years ago. So many of the songs she sings are poignant and inspirational. "Ella's Song" and "It Could Have Been Me" are two such songs that I listened to on today's walk. I wanted peaceful yet powerful music.

When it's not Springsteen or Holly Near, songs I choose on my walk could be from the Rolling Stones, James Taylor, the Hamilton soundtrack, the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack, the list goes on. Occasionally I get obsessed with one song, like "Shallow." When that came out, after I saw "A Star is Born," I had to play it constantly on my walk (and after). Some songs just really get under my skin. "All of Me" by John Legend was another one of those. "Despacito" and "Can't Hold Us" (Macklemore & Lewis) were two others I played night and day and on every walk, over and over. When a song gets under my skin, I'm a goner. I'm concerned that "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is my next musical obsession.


Comments

  1. Updating an old saying after reading your slice: The hand that chooses the playlist rules the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students always sing "We Don't Talk About Bruno"- nonstop! Holly Near is new to me....but I do love Bruce! Brilliant Disguise and Thunder Road are probably my favorites. I really like listening to podcasts on walks or Voxer messages. A few of my friends leave messages for each other on Voxer so we aren't talking in real time but catch up with each other. I liked hearing about the soundtracks to your walks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts