Travel Talk

"You guys are getting old. Time to start traveling again," my visiting millennial daughter states at lunch today.

"I think we're gonna stay in the United States for the time being," I respond.

"Why? It's safer in many other countries. You'll be safer in Paris."

"I don't speak French. What if we get sick there?"

"Google translate," she says as she points to her phone. 

"No. We're staying here. There are so many places here we haven't been to."

"Are you going to travel when you're old? When did grandma go to Egypt?

"She traveled till she was 80," I tell her.

"What's on your bucket list?"

"I'd like to go to the Amalfi Coast and Lake Como and other places in Italy and Switzerland we haven't been to."

"Why not this summer?"

"There's a war going on in Europe. This is not the time."

"Where else would you want to go?"

"Australia."

"You're really gonna take a 20-hour plane ride?"

"Well not in the immediate future. I do want to go to Greece," I add.

"How about Antarctica? You can go on a cruise and see penguins and glaciers."

"Yeah. We loved Alaska."

She then proceeds to show us this video of a hotel with giraffes roaming around in Nairobi, Kenya, and many amazing tik tok videos. It's called Giraffe Manor which boasts "the most unforgettable bucket-list breakfast in the world" on its website. Giraffes literally pop their necks in over the breakfast table. 

I've got to admit I would love to be there... And for a few minutes it was fun to think about those giraffes and all the far-away places I've yet to travel to.


Comments

  1. That all sounds wonderful! I saw that tik tok with the giraffes as well. So cool! I recently heard that the best Disney Cruise is the Alaskan one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think breakfast with giraffes sounds amazing! I may have to google it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen videos of Giraffe Manor. It's on my bucket list too! I hope we both get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your dialogue, I hear echoes of recent chats with my wife, her stepping on the gas, me tapping the brakes. A lurching ride, for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dialogue! I'm such a home-body. My sister loves to travel. I wish I did more- there is so much to see and explore. The giraffes sound so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts