A Rose, A Thorn, and a Bud: My Total Hip Replacement

 A Rose:

I love walking and, much to my surprise, I'm walking again, with no pain. I'm already walking up to 2 miles a day, as allowed by my surgeon. I am recovering!  I'm feeling good and it's been six weeks since my total hip replacement. I've always been really healthy and used to walk 3 - 4 miles a day and garden every spring and summer day I would get the chance. I've always maintained a pretty active lifestyle.

A Thorn:

Out of nowhere, this past May into June, I began having real trouble walking. I would walk on the boardwalk and every step hurt. After I rested, it felt better. But something was very wrong. I was experiencing real pain in my groin and that pain would move around. Then I would walk around five blocks from my house, but I struggled to walk on the return home. Soon I was having trouble just walking around the house and going up and down stairs. My initial x-rays didn't show much, and I was sent to physical therapy which didn't help at all.  I had an MRI and was given a cortisone shot. Then I went on anti-inflammatory meds, and they helped for one good month. Then I continued to struggle as I waited for the surgery date to near.

 A Bud:

I am walking again! It is a glorious feeling. The healing process is going well. I believe that by 3 months I should be able to do most everything except running. Today I see the surgeon for my six-week checkup and I'm hoping my x-rays look good and that I get a good report. Spring is almost here, and I'm feeling good.


Thanks to Elisabeth E. for offering this interesting writing structure I never tried.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad this format worked so well for you today! I really like how you used each element to focus on the same topic and tell a complete story. Now I want to write another rose/thorn/bud all focused on the same topic instead of 3 different ones. How wonderful to be feeling so much better and healing. A perfect time of year to be able to walk some distance again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the format and am so happy you are doing so much better! That is a Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this format yesterday after reading Elisabeth's post. I like the way all three are related to the same topic. I hope th appointment went well and your healing continues to progress..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are getting back to your old self. For someone who is pretty active, that must have been hard. I also read the post and considered using the format. You did it well and love that they are all linked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We must be on the same wave length because I used Elizabeth's structure yesterday! Happy for you that you're feeling like your old self again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earlier this school year, I learned about roses, buds, and thorns from a colleague who used these symbols to craft a closure at the end of a professional-development session. It's fun to see a similar structure deployed for a different, yet still revealing, purpose here. Congratulations on your progress back to more active doings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts