I love daylight savings time!

 It may not be popular here in this writing community, it may not be popular for early morning rising, but I can't wait for the day we spring ahead. In January, I peruse the new calendar for the date when we return to the light. On the morning DST arrives, I immediately want to jump to the new time. I rush to change all the clocks everywhere soon, so we don't get messed up. Invariably there is a clock that remains unchanged, and it can really mess you up later in the day.

I love when it's light out later. Last night I took a train home from the city and when I disembarked at 7 PM, it was still light out. And the days just keep getting lighter and lighter, and so do I.

The other day I heard Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders being interviewed on a talk show, and he was asked about daylight savings time and the push to keep it year-round.

"Do you care about this?" the host asked.

"No." (The audience laughs.)

Sanders continued, "I have been criticized for having a very narrow focus. I accept that criticism. Daylight savings time is not one of the issues that I've been studying."

I guess I get it. It's not everyone's favorite or most important day of the year, and of course I prefer Halloween and Thanksgiving over DST day. But it runs a close third.

Comments

  1. I love your unbridled love of DST. You own it unnapoligetically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like the change to staying light later. My husband rants on about it for weeks. I don't understand all the angst about DST and I'm indifferent to whether or not the Sunlight Protection Act passes. I love how your slice shows your excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a time change fan. It takes my body at least a week to adjust. However, I do like that it is light later in the day. And, after reading your excitement, I feel better about living through this week while I adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are brave to admit you love DST. Where I live we have daylight until 10:00 pm in summer. It’s not so much the DST I dislike; it’s the psychological and biological adjustment that’s the problem, and I’m not alone. There are more heart attacks, car wrecks, etc, when the clock changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...I love light in the evening. I'm not so crazy about "losing" an hour, but I love gaining light after work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This line is great: "And the days just keep getting lighter and lighter, and so do I." Throughout this slice, your enthusiasm is the good kind of contagious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts