The Joy of Packing

 For the most part, I enjoy packing, particularly if it's for a vacation or a conference and especially if it's going from a winter climate to a warm one. I am going away this Saturday and choosing what clothes to bring makes me visualize the trip and visualize myself in a warm place doing fun things like swimming.

"Should I bring 2 bathing suits or 3?" I texted my daughter.

"I packed 4 lol," was her reply.

So I imagine myself swimming and walking along the beach path. I'll pack a bunch of tee shirts and comfortable shorts. Then I think about dinners outside, and I visualize eating in various restaurants, so I'll pack a few pretty dresses, I think.

It's the other stuff, of course, like the keratin shampoo, the headphones, the sunglasses - those miscellaneous things you might very well forget - that gets annoying. I do tend to be an obsessive packer. This is counter to my husband who packs in 20 minutes and then forgets to bring tee shirts. Then we're in search of a laundromat on day 2. (He's not going on this trip.)

I like having a finite amount of well-chosen garments once I'm away; it eliminates making choices out of a whole wardrobe. I shall pack a book I've been reading for too long, and some magazine articles I've been meaning to read. Hopefully, it's an easy pack, if not a totally joyful pack.

Comments

  1. I like to pack, too! It's fun planning out what to wear and imagining what you will need. May you have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time! I hate packing and am a terrible packer. I've gotten better but what I need to do first is to write a long list of everything I need. It's like a non-fiction article with subtitles (cosmetics, on the plane, evening attire, day attire, morning of, house to-do before leave, etc...) I usually pack and then take out 3-4 outfits. Packing is stressful - but you need to always remember you can buy whatever you're missing if you need to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder that it's ime for me to pack, too; I'm hoping to channel your husband's speed, while minimizing the consequences of leaving behind (too many) key items.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts