Uninvited Songs

 Ever have a song in your head that just plays frequently, like when you're in the shower, or just walking around the house? You have no control over it, and it keeps happening again when you least expect it. 

"Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera is that song this week that is continually on rewind in my head. I saw Phantom again last week which I wrote about on Day 1, and now I'm fully immersed in that music. I also hear "The Music of the Night" in my head, another of my Phantom favorites. I truly do not mind hearing those two songs all day: rather, I enthusiastically welcome them to the soundtrack in my head. It's hard to explain why I love that music so much.

My friend Sheree once refused to go to a performance of Annie that her step-grandchild was in. She made an excuse why she couldn't attend. But she told me that the last time she had seen that show she couldn't get the songs out of her head, and she really disliked the songs, and felt like a prisoner for a week after. That story makes me grateful that I love my uninvited songs.

Does this happen to you? What was the last song that found its way into your head, uninvited?


Comments

  1. Your friend Sheree is so right! I never thought of an uninvited song making your feel like a prisoner! Luckily, I have the worst memory for music (expecially for music for some reason!) so if I like or don't like a song I forget the words and the tune pretty quickly. Music that we love sure does light up our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the contrast between your experience and your friend's, and the word "prisoner" sits in direct opposition to "enthusiastically welcome." I can imagine the lyrics sneaking into your day, under your breath and it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your slice and pondering the impact of earworms, I'm tempted to rewrite the lyrics to "Think of Me" as "Don't Think of Me"! I'm pretty sure the rhythm wouldn't scan nearly so well as Lloyd Webber's original, but that might make my parody more easily forgotten :o

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts