Best book ever!

My (long ago) college roommate called it a masterpiece. Kelly Gallagher, English teacher guru, called it one of the best books he’s read over the past year. So, it was on the advice of those two (plus Oprah and the Pulitzer Prize committee) that I chose it for our book group.

My book group is meeting in two days at my house, and I have 150 pages left in Demon Copperhead. For some reason, I am slow reading this book. When I first started it a few weeks ago, I would read a few pages, savor them, and be satiated. Six pages read - and I would stop and dog ear an amazing passage to one day share with others because the writing was so incredible. I can’t believe anyone can write that well. It certainly has convinced me that there is no great American novel in me. I am in awe of Barbara Kingsolver and her ability to create this character (Demon) and make him so, so real.

Over the last few days, I am reading it voraciously in every spare moment I can find. It is indeed a masterpiece. I must get to the finish line. 



Comments

  1. It was a SLOW start for me as well. Now that you are into the story, just keep reading. It is worth it. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing in this world like a great novel that is beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it was slow because it was hard on my heart--beautiful but heartwrenching. I'll read Barbara Kingsolver any day! Enjoy the book group meeting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts