Mother - Daughter Book Group

I’m in a mother-daughter book group, sans daughters. 

We began the group many years ago when our daughters were in 4th grade I believe. We had initially met at a Mothers Center when our daughters were infants. We were all from different towns nearby, so our daughters had new friends that weren’t from their town or school. 

We would meet at each other’s houses and discuss books, eat pizza, and talk about growing up issues. I remember we read Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret, and the girls were kind of embarrassed to talk about the issues raised in that book. Another book we read was Moon Over Crete, and we cooked up a delicious Greek meal. We read lots and lots of books over the years, like Esperanza Rising and Stargirl. I even presented a workshop about our group at an NCTE convention with my daughter in tow when she was thirteen. It was entitled “The Mother-Daughter Book Group: Engaging and Empowering Our Daughters.” It was a fun trip to Atlanta.

At some point in each book group gathering, the girls would leave us to talk amongst themselves, and we mothers did too. We shared stories and advice as we navigated through the challenging stages of their adolescence and this oftentimes crazy world. I remember meeting a few days before they were about to go off to college. We were trying to think about what other words of wisdom could we impart on them before they go away and laughed that it was probably too late. We laughed through our nervousness. 

We still meet, but it’s just us five mothers, as all the daughters have moved away. They have varied careers, some have married, some have kids. We do still manage to keep in touch. But it is only the five of us that continue to read books together and share our joys and sorrows as we grow older. 


Comments

  1. I find it impossible to click past a post with the words book or book group or daughter. You captured me with this post! I love that the moms still meet. I just enjoyed a retreat with a book group I've belonged to for 26 years. Loved seeing Esperanza Rising and Stargirl among the titles you enjoyed.
    And now I want to know, what you've been reading lately (sans daughters)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a mother/daughter book club. The group has formed a special bond and one day maybe you'll meet with your grandkids! When I went from teaching first, to second and then to fifth I ended up teaching a group of students for three or their elementary school years! I started a mother/daughter (and teacher) book club with three of the girls and their lovely moms. The seven us have met every summer for the past several years. It's a wonderful way for me to keep in touch with famileis that I adore and past students that are so special to me. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much! How wonderful that you've had this steady group of friends reading and discussing books together for so many years. I'm with Ramona--I can't ever resist clicking on posts about books, reading, or book clubs! Also! I think I remember that session from NCTE!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts