Our Writing Group

What a beautiful sight to behold! I am seated with my writing group. Eight of us have shown up today on this rainy, dreary Thursday morning, to write together, to catch up on each other’s lives, ready to listen to each other’s reflections. We are seated at a perfect table – 4 little tables pushed together to form a big square and we almost look like we are at a holiday gathering. These are precious, thoughtful people - a history teacher, a few English teachers, an ENL teacher, and a few elementary school teachers – some retired, some actively teaching. We initially came together due to our work with the Long Island Writing Project. And three of us are participating in this month’s ‘Slice of Life’ blogging experience!

Our writing group has been meeting for many years. We have inhabited various venues, from a very cool independent bookstore basement to the local community college lounge. We have also met at each other’s houses. Today’s meeting is at a Panera Bread on a school holiday.

We typically start with a writing prompt which could be a poem, an essay, or perhaps a section from a book. Today’s prompt was about showing up for people whether you may be in a hurting, healing, or helping position. “We desperately need a spiritual rewiring in our time,” the author of today’s prompt writes. “Imagine that we hear one another’s stories, say amen to one another’s pain, and even pray for one another’s healing.” 

Today’s writing pieces and topics we talked about focused on a range of issues from raising a developmentally disabled child, dealing with grief (and appreciating each pastry along the way), curating your own joy, teaching about neurodiversity, hearing a song recommendation for “Right Back to it” by Waxahatchee, and sharing thoughts on Princess Kate’s situation.

I always leave satisfied after writing group - that I have written, that I have made deep connections and that this is important work. We have traveled through a lot together, navigating these unusual times. Having this writing community, one small space in my life, is a gift I truly appreciate.



Prompt is from “Train Yourself to Always Show Up” by Sharon Brous: Guest Essay, The New York Times, Jan. 19, 2024


“Right Back to it” – Waxahatchee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL3iHhERWJw





Comments

  1. I appreciated learning the steps your group takes. I meet with 2 others. Impressive that you have a group of 8! So valueable to connect with other writers in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wonderful to have a writing group and to get to meet in person! I liked hearing the range of topics. All interesting! Beautiful prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the spirt of the group in this slice. It is indeed a gift to be part of a writing group such as ours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful piece Heidi. I am honored to know you. I am thankful, very thankful for all of your help along the way, as I learn to find my voice with writing. You are a beautiful person and a beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful to write with others. I am a part of an online writing group, and they are all a vital part of my life. I hope to one day write in person with more of them. I have met only a few in person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts