Scheduling the "Walk 'n Talk"


Did you ever schedule a walk n talk?

Yesterday my old college roommate texted: “Want to do a walk ‘n talk soon?” 

When I say old college roommate, I mean old. We are old. Debbie is about to become a grandmother for the first time. We have stayed in touch over these many decades, she in Philly and me in NY. Sometimes we are more in touch than other times, but we are family, as she duly noted on yesterday’s phone call. 

We started scheduling these walk ‘n talks during the pandemic. What else was there to do but walk endless miles and chat with friends around the country who were struggling to make sense of this new way of being. Debbie became one of my regulars. 

We talk about our careers – she a journalist, me an English teacher. We talk a lot about our children – their careers, their travels, their choice of partners. We talk about the state of the world and politics, and we share book recommendations. She’s the one who recommended Demon Copperhead for my book group, and it really is amazing. 

So after clocking in 12, 521 steps with Debbie yesterday, I heartily recommend the walk ‘n talk. It’s got a kind of  Seinfeld-like feel to it.

Comments

  1. That sounds lovely! Sometimes it helps to have something else to focus on like knitting or walking when you chat with someone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts